Membership of the Institute is open to all persons over 21 years old with a recognised pass or honours degree in chemistry or equivalent academic qualification in chemistry or a specialised discipline associated with chemistry and the requisite practical experience.
Membership is of three grades, namely Fellowship, Associateship and Licentiateship. Fellows, Associates and Licentiates are entitled to use the initials FMIC, AMIC or LMIC respectively after their names.
Becoming An IKM Member
IKM is a professional body first established way back in 1967. The Chemists Act was passed in 1975 and it requires all practicing chemists to be registered with IKM and this has given us due recognition as a professional. The Membership of the Institute is open to all persons over 21 years old with a recognized pass or honour degree in chemistry or equivalent academic qualification in chemistry or a specialized discipline associated with chemistry and the requisite practical experience. Membership of the Institute shall be one of three grades, namely, Fellowship, Associateship, and Licentiateship. Click here for Application Form
By Joining the IKM you will benefit from:
- Membership of your Professional Body and Recognition as a "Registered Chemist" under the "Chemists Act, 1975": practice or hold himself out as a person of any other like description;
- advertise by any means or in any manner as being engaged in practice as a registered chemist;
- adopt, use or exhibit the term "registered chemist" or its equivalent in any other language or any other term of like description in such circumstances as to indicate or to be likely to lead persons to infer that he is a registered chemists; and
- sign or certify any report or certificate of analysis intended for the public.
- Safeguard provided by the Chemist Act, 1975 and the regulation of the practice, by members, of the profession of chemistry in Malaysia.
- Networking opportunities with members in your local area as well as with over 1800 members throughout Malaysia and neighboring countries
- Reduced rates on all programmes of national and regional meetings, conferences, seminars and workshops
- Special benefits and rates for senior members on all functions
- Berita IKM (Newsletter), Malaysian Journal of Chemistry (MJC), and Kimia Kini - periodicals and publications to keep chemists in touch with news and informations of activities of members and the Institute
- Access to the National IKM Secretariat in Kuala Lumpur and a network of Six(6) Branch committees in Penang, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu for advice and guidance on scientific and professional issues
- Access to specialist Interest Groups and sections covering all relevant aspects of the practice of chemistry in the country
- Support of the Benevolent Fund and the Education Fund of IKM for members and their families
The IKM Membership examination will be held in December yearly. The closing date to sit for the examination is 31 August every year. The application form, a copy of the examination syllabus and regulations, and past year examination question papers can be obtained from the Institute.The following persons are qualified to sit for the final examinations, namely,
- pass degree graduates, with a pass in chemistry, from a University not recognised by the government; and
- persons who possess the Higher School Certificate or equivalent qualification and have undertaken a course or courses equivalent to the syllabus of the Institute for Part I or Part II of the final examinations. Click here for Application Form (Form 6)
Preparatory Course for IKM Part 1 Examination 2009 please click here
For further enquiries, please contact the IKM Secretariat at Tel: 603-7728 3272 Fax: 603-7728 9909 or e-mail us at