About Institut Kimia Malaysia
Membership & Examinations
Medals & Awards
Webs and Events Links
|Laboratory Excellence Awards|
IKM LABORATORY EXCELLENCE AWARDS
The Institute in 1986 introduced the IKM Laboratory Accreditation Award for chemical laboratories and later in 1994 changed this to the IKM Quality Award to accord recognition to laboratories that have achieved competency in the practice of analytical work. This award was renamed as IKM Laboratory Excellence Award in 2001.
This award was designed to ensure the laboratory’s commitment to achieve excellence in providing quality and competent testing services pertaining to local legislation especially in the fields of health, safety and the environment.
In addition to the needs of analytical laboratories to operate a quality system according to the requirements as stipulated in MS ISO/IEC 17025, the award also requires laboratories to operate with safety and health features in the workplace.
General Guidelines on safety requirements for the IKM Laboratory Excellence Award are shown in Appendix 1. Participating laboratories are expected in the coming assessment to implement mandatory requirements in these general guidelines.
General Guidelines on Safety Requirement for
IKM Laboratory Excellence AwardS
One of the principal objective of an assessor when deciding to award the IKM Laboratory Excellence Award – Safety Aspect is to determine whether the laboratory is able to carry out all the laboratory work in a safe and healthy manner. The assessment will also determine whether the lab staff is exposed to any hazardous situations. A laboratory is safe if the following conditions exist:-
§ Good laboratory design to facilitate safe operation
§ Staff responsible to health and safety aspects of laboratory
§ Chemical hazard communication (Employee’s right to know) --Employees have the right to know the properties and potential safety and health hazards of substances to which they may be exposed. Such knowledge is essential to reducing the risk of occupational illness and injury
§ Operation control over hazardous chemical and waste
§ Safe use of equipment
§ Standard operation procedures for major and minor emergency
§ Complying with local laws and regulations
It is mandatory that a laboratory which practices safety and health should have the following basic requirements:-
(1) A good Laboratory Safety Manual (LSM)
(2) Records to show that all laboratory staff who handle chemicals are adequately trained
(3) Up to date MSDS on all hazardous chemicals available in the workplace are easily available
(4) SOP on handling & disposal of laboratory wastes
(5) Availability of emergency response equipment and PPE and maintained in good working condition
(6) Properly maintained fume cupboards with face velocity set to manufacturer specification. Check also that the exhaust fumes do not re-enter laboratory.
(7) Check to determine that the ventilation in the laboratory is adequate. A good ventilated laboratory should be able to keep chemical exposures below the limits specified in USECHH regulation.
(8) Written out procedures to clean up different types of chemical spills (acid, alkali, solvent, mercury etc). Record to show that staffs are trained to use them.
(9) Trained first aid staff.
(10) First aid kit placed in accessible location in the laboratory.
(11) Fire escape routes in the laboratory. Written out procedures for carrying out emergency drills and also having evacuation plan. Record to show that such drills are carried out.
(12) Complying with the requirements of local laws and regulation.
2012 IKM LABORATORY EXCELLENCE AWARDS
1. Applications are now invited from chemical laboratories which have registered chemists to apply for the 2012 IKM Laboratory Excellence Award.
2. This Award is to recognize laboratories which achieve the quality standards of MS ISO/IEC 17025 as well as laboratory safety and health standards.
3. Laboratories meeting the criteria will be awarded a certificate. In addition, a plaque will be awarded to laboratories which have in the past been continuously awarded the IKM Laboratory Excellence Award or the IKM Quality Award for a certain number of years.
The plaque will be awarded for the following 3 categories:
· IKM Laboratory Excellence Silver Award - 10 years
· IKM Laboratory Excellence Gold Award - 15 years
· IKM Laboratory Excellence Platinum Award - 20 years
4. Applications for the Award will be on a voluntary basis.
5. The application fee for the IKM Laboratory Excellence Award is RM750 which is not refundable and must be submitted together with the application, self declaration & verification form.
6. The Award exercise shall be carried out annually and is on a calendar year basis.
7. The closing date for applications is 15 June 2012. Assessment is expected to be carried out in July – August 2012.
8. Please click for the form: Application, Self-declaration & Verification
When submitting the Application, Self-declaration & Verification form, please include steps taken (if any) to address comments by assessors during the 2011 assessment of your laboratory.