1) Members at the 40th Annual General Meeting held on 24th March 2007 approved the establishment of the following Awards
2) Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Law Hieng Ding Award for distinctive contribution to chemical education and/or public understanding of chemistry in Malaysia.
3) Nomination for this Award will close on 15th July every year. Members who wish to make a nomination must submit the curriculum vitae and photograph of the candidate together with a supporting statement.
1) Upon receiving the nomination(s), the Council shall establish a Panel of Assessors, no later than 31st August.
2) The Panel of Assessors shall comprise the President and six eminent members of the Institute. The President shall be the chairperson of the Panel. The Panel shall convene a meeting with at least five assessors present.
3) In the event that the President is unable to be the Chairperson of the Panel, the Vice President, or the Registrar, or a Council Member appointed by the Council, will act as the Chairperson.
4) The Honorary Secretary of the Institute shall be the Secretary of the Panel but with no voting right.
5) In the event that the Honorary Secretary is a nominee, or a proposer or seconder of nomination, then the Honorary Assistant Secretary shall be the Secretary of the Panel.
6) Nominees and persons who propose and second nominations cannot be appointed as assessors.
7) The Panel shall assess the nominees and make specific clear-cut recommendations to the Council for the award of the Awards no later than 30 September.
8) The decision of the Panel shall be by simple majority. In the event that there is a tie, the Chairperson shall have an additional casting vote.
9) If, in the opinion of the Panel, there is no suitable candidate for the Award, no award shall be made that year.
1) The Council, upon receiving recommendations from the Panel of Assessors, shall endorse or reject these recommendations.
2) Rejection of recommendation shall be by two-third majority of Council members present at the Council Meeting.
3) There shall not be shared award in either of the Awards.
4) No person shall receive the award more than once.
5) The decision of the Council shall be final.
1) The Award shall be presented to the recipients at the annual Malam Kimia or at any other function decided by the Council.
2) The Institute shall not pay for the expenses incurred by the recipients in attending the function to receive the Award.
These Rules of the Awards can be amended at a Council Meeting.